[Disclosure: This post may contain some affiliate links. Meaning: If you would decide to make a purchase through those links, we would get a commission (at no costs to you)]
The most common cause of back pain for older people is spinal osteoarthritis (Other causes of back pain we have talked before, see our previous article.). The symptoms of osteoarthritis can be effectively managed by staying active and maintaining an ideal weight. Other known treatments, that we will discuss below, may also slow the progression of the disease and help reduce the back pain. Here are some facts about spinal osteoarthritis:
Quick Definition of Spinal Osteoarthritis
Spinal osteoarthritis is a chronic degenerative joint disease affecting millions of people worldwide. It is a condition in which the cartilage that links together the spine breaks down, causing pain, swelling, and problems in moving the joints. Usually, as spinal osteoarthritis develops, symptoms may become worse over time. It may cause your back or neck to be stiff, or arms and legs may feel weak. This is because this joint disease causes changes in your spine, adding pressure to the nerves.
What are the causes of Spinal Osteoarthritis?
- Obesity: Gaining extra weight can put more stress to your back.
- Old Age: As you age, you are more likely to develop spinal osteoarthritis causing back pain.
- Gender: Women are more probable to have spinal osteoarthritis than men.
- Injuries from playing sports or from an accident can cause spinal osteoarthritis.
- Repetitive stress from certain occupations may eventually develop to spinal osteoarthritis.
Several Treatments for Spinal Osteoarthritis:
- Massage offers plenty of health benefits aside from simple relaxation.
- Acupuncture can be a useful treatment for many pain-related conditions such as back pain. Thin needles are inserted into your skin at accurate spots of your body.
- Strengthening exercise around the affected areas can reduce the pain.
- Yoga reduces stress through exercise and stretching combined with deep breathing. Many people use these kinds of techniques to reduce stress and may reduce osteoarthritis and improve movement.